Have you ever seen an iceberg in the city center? If not, you must see the new premises of Szczecin Philharmonic which majestically emerges from urban buildings and pervasive greenery. Its metal and glass facade supplemented with light illuminations catch the eye of each person who comes nearby. The building was designed by Catalonian architects from Barozzi Veiga from Barcelona and immediately has become the icon of our city. It has received numerous awards, including the Mies van der Rohe Award in 2015.
The Odra river boulevards
Renovated boulevards of Long Bridge (Most Długi) and Castle Route (Trasa Zamkowa) and on Łasztownia island attract strollers, cyclists, roller skaters and sailors. Wyszak Boat is one of the decorations of Sailors Avenue. The smell of cacao and chocolate tempts our noses. This sweet aroma comes from the chocolate factory „GRYF”.
For more info and events calendar please visit: bulwary.szczecin.eu
The Jasne Błonia Park
Jasne Błonia is a wide green park located by the Szczecin City Hall, one of the favorite places for walks, riding a bike or simply to spend time sitting comfortably on a bench or on the lawn. The park was built in the years 1925-27, it was designed with rows of maple plane trees on the sides of a wide lawn with ground-based ﬂower arrangements in the middle. It is the largest concentration of this species of trees in Poland, of which over 200 are growing here.
Pionier 1907 Cinema
Films can be watched in a soft armchair in cozy, historical room or at the table in „Kiniarnia” which is 2 ﬂoors below. It is a retro-style room with a jabbering projector and a piano from 1898. Seems like atmosphere in an old cinema? It is even better as it is the oldest cinema in the world which has been operating in the same place continuously for more than 100 years. Before you enter the cinema please look at the glass-case, there is a certiﬁcate from The World Guinness Book.
The Dialog Centre “Przełomy”
This is one of branches of the National Museum in Szczecin, where newest history of Szczecin and West Pomerania region is presented, with particular attention given to social protests and breaking events in the years 1970–1971, 1980– 1981, 1988–1989, that lead Poland to regain sovereignty in 1989. The building that houses our museum is partially hidden under the Solidarity Plaza, adjacent to the Concert Hall. Location of the museum has not been chosen by an accident - it was here when on 17 December 1970 ﬁrst shots were ﬁred at the protesters. In July 2016, the Dialogue Centre Upheavals was ranked the Best Public Space in Europe. Four months later, on November 18, the same building was named World Building of the Year.
The Museum of Technology and Transport
Thanks to the passion and endurance of the Szczecin Society of Fans of Public Transport, the Museum of Technology and Transport was opened in an old, former tram depot in 2010. The obtainment of a grant allowed them to renovate the object, repair the old trams there and bring them back into use, as well as purchase 32 vintage cars and 56 motorcycles from a Warsaw collector. In this way the Museum and the Art Depot, many times awarded, were brought into being.
The unique collection and well done renovation of this historical building attract people with its exhibitions, educational programs and cultural events. Filled with natural light, finished in an interesting manner, it has become a popular place for photo sessions, and has been used as an art gallery and fashion show. It is worth following its current events and discovering the treasures brought in for temporary exhibits.
The Pomeranian Dukes’ Castle
Anyone entering Szczecin by bridges over the Oder River can see the towering red-brick gothic Cathedral and an elegant, pale silhouette of a Renaissance castle with green towers, which used to be the seat of the dukes of the Griﬃns dynasty who ruled the Duchy of Pomerania. The Pomeranian Dukes’ Castle has ﬁve wings and two courtyards. There is a panoramic terrace on the rooftop of the northern wing from where splendid views can be appreciated. A 17th century astronomical clock is the Castle’s special tourist attraction. Also a room dedicated to Eilhard Lubinus and the Witches’ Cell are deﬁnitely worth a visit.